By Maysee Lao, UW Oshkosh Peer Wellness Educator
Did you know that many studies have shown that drinking tea can protect your teeth and heart, and not to mention, it can even possibly help prevent cancer? In many countries, tea plays a big part in many individuals’ culture. Of course tea tastes great, but it doesn’t stop there. With taste comes many benefits to drinking tea. The benefits affect not only the body but the mind as well. Down below I will be discussing the positive effects tea has on an individual’s mind and body.
- Tea contains antioxidants which is so beneficial because antioxidants defend an individual’s cells from damage caused by harmful molecules. According to nursingdegree.net, “Antioxidants can help slow down aging…” which is definitely a bonus if you ask me!
- As mentioned before, drinking tea can help protect an individual’s heart. How you may ask? Well “…earlier reports found a nearly 20 percent reduction in the risk of heart attack and a 35 percent reduced risk of stroke among those who drank one to three cups of green tea a day”. In addition, research has shown that by drinking four or more cups of green tea daily there is a thirty two percent reduction in the risk of a heart attack and lower levels of LDL cholesterol (today.com).
- Many studies have shown that those who regularly drink tea have stronger bones than those who do not drink tea (nursingdegree.net). If you are getting bored with drinking milk to strengthen and protect your bones, you now know an alternative, tea!
- Tea is also said to “…create a calmer but more alert state of mind” (nursingdegree.net). If you are having a hard time staying focus and/or being alert, drinking tea might just be the solution. Tea contains some caffeine, so if you are not a fan of coffee, tea is always another option.
- Something many people can relate to is stress. Tea might just also be the solution to that. According to nursingdegree.net, “Participants in a study experienced a 20% drop in cortisol, a stress hormone, after drinking 4 cups of tea daily for one month.”
- If you ever feel forgetful, “Tea can cause a temporary increase in short term memory” (nursingdegree.net). This helps because as stated before tea contains caffeine that may be what you need to re-energize yourself mentally.
Drinking tea has many pros to it. The list goes on as to what it can do for your body physically and mentally. The great thing about drinking tea is that there are a variety of flavors and ways to drink tea out there such as the normal green tea, black tea, oolong tea, chamomile, ginger, and so much more! Nowadays many people are becoming more creative such as creating milk teas where they add black boba pearls. There are many fun ways to drink tea! Another thing about tea is that you can drink it hot or cold, so it is a perfect drink whether it be for a hot or cold day!